Reported by a customer we had some issues with special characters that were outside the ISO-8859-1 code page.
Since I learned Chinese for three years, I could personally reproduce the issue by installing the Pinyin keyboard layout and just typing a few Chinese words. But finally, this may be disturbing, since you get the Windows language bar and pressing key combinations like Ctrl+Space (which are often used in software development) toggle between layouts.
Other solutions could be
- typing Alt+NumPad numbers (hard to remember + not that easy to type on Notebooks without a numeric block)
- copy/paste special characters (open Word or Internet first)
All those solutions do not seem perfect to me. I'm looking for a solution that
- has easier key combinations than Alt+NumPad
- needs no additional opening of a program like a symbol table
- does not add languages to the Windows language bar and does not conflict with programmer keys (ideally it's configurable)
- works on Windows
- is gratis, open source preferred