I'm working with Team Foundation Server and its Version Control system on several projects. Within a specific Team Project we've created three branches:
- Main branch
- Dev branch, based off Main
- Scaffolding branch, based off Dev
We do production patches on Main and Forward Integrate those to Dev. During a sprint we do work in the Dev branch and Reverse Integrate those into Main upon deploying to production. Similarly we have merging operations between Dev and Scaffolding.
In short: run of the mill, basic branching strategy.
I'd like to visualize the Forward Integration and Reverse Integration merging check-ins. With tools such as SourceTree and TortoiseHg you can get a visualization of branch and (more imporantly) merge operations in the sideline of your commit history overview.
Here's an example from TortoiseHg:
And an example from SourceTree:
I'm looking for something similar for TFS and TFVC.
- Gratis or part of TFS / TFVC / Visual Studio itself;
- Visualizes merge operations;
- Automated (that is, "Create a flow chart in Visio" is not a solution);
- Visualization should show operations chronologically;
- If TFS-based solution: TFS 2013 (I can upgrade to later versions, but that wouldn't help me short term).
- Visualizes branching operations;
- Reduces noise by optionally hiding check-ins that are not merge/branch operations.
I've looked around Visual Studio 2013 and the TFS screens, but haven't found something that has the visualization I'm looking for. The default "View Hierarchy" visualization just shows the relationship between branches, but not merge operations and check-ins over time.
I've checked The Version Control Guide but it says nothing about tooling for creating this kind of visualization. They do have a visualization that I'm actually after, which looks like this:
I've asked on Codeplex how that visualization was created, but I didn't get any response and also fear that it was hand-crafted with Visio.
So, the TLDR / question here: is there any piece of software you'd recommend for visualizing merging/branching in TFS?
Footnote: although I no longer use TFS or TFVC, I did notice that the CodePlex repo was moved to a place that now suggests the "Branch Visualization" plugin (which I haven't tried).