My company uses Mattermost (a Slack alternative) for most daily communications.
Is there a way we can manage documents within Mattermost?
- Alice creates a contract in LibreOffice and uploads it to Mattermost,
- Bob updates it with more information (download, modify, upload to replace),
- Charles creates another contract,
- Danielle easily sees the list of all contracts in their most up-to-date version.
- Each document can be modified in the future by anyone who has permission
- All revisions of each document are clearly listed (and downloadable) in the document's history
- Documents can be organized somehow, for instance with tags or categories or folders.
- Easy way to list all documents based on the organization above (for instance by tag or category or folder)
- Full-text search: If a PDF/DOC/ODT contains a keyword I will find it by typing that keyword in Mattermost's search box
- The cheaper the better, ideally open source
It can be either a Mattermost-specific development or an integration with a pure Document Management product like Alfresco/Nuxeo/NemakiWare. Special bonus if compatible with any Enterprise Content Management server via the CMIS protocol.
The existing upload/download feature of Mattermost is not enough because:
- Documents can't be modified (re-uploadeds are treated as separate documents),
- There is no list of documents, one would have to scroll for hours to find a five year old contract without being sure it is the last version.