I’ve done exactly what you asked when I rebuilt a Windows media server and upgraded the disk drive. I used Casper, a product I’ve been using for a number of years. I’ve used it for desktop and laptop drive swaps.
• Total PC Backup Protection — creates a complete copy of your Windows
system hard disk, including the operating system, applications,
photos, music, email documents, calendar, preferences, settings, and
more. With Casper, you have peace of mind knowing that you are
prepared for any data disaster whether your drive has failed, files
have become corrupted or you have regrets about that new operating
• Fast, Complete Backups — maintains a complete, instantly bootable
backup replacement or image file backup for your system in the same
amount of time required by other backup and disk imaging software to
perform a partial or incremental backup. With Integrated Scheduling
and the ability to run entirely in the background, Casper makes any
time right for a backup.
• Effortless Restoration — provides easy, one-step support for
restoring a failed Windows system disk from a backup. Casper
automatically locates available backups, you choose which backup to
restore, and then Casper does the rest. Casper will even seek out your
backups from multiple locations.
• Rapid Recovery — eliminates downtime in the event of a hard disk
failure or corruption by producing a bootable backup that can be used
as an immediate and permanent replacement for the failed hard disk.
Casper can even produce a fully bootable copy of a Windows system
drive that can boot and run directly from an external USB drive†.
• Absolute Confidence — makes a bootable backup of a Windows system
that can be tested immediately after its creation by simply
configuring the computer to boot from it — completely eliminating any
worry about the integrity of the backup. And Automatic Copy
Verification ensures a Casper backup has not been corrupted during the
imaging process by faulty RAM, a defective cable, failing disk or bad
• Easy Upgrades — quickly duplicates a drive to another drive without
requiring a laborious and time consuming backup and restore process.
Casper makes it extraordinarily easy to safely and securely upgrade
your system to a larger hard disk for increased capacity or to a new
Solid State Drive (SSD) for improved system performance.
• Simple to Use — ensures you will not need to be a professional
computer technician to use Casper. Clear, easy-to-follow wizards guide
you through the entire process step-by-step, while features such as
SmartSense™, SmartStart™, 1-Click Cloning™ and Integrated Scheduling
automate the backup process so that your backup is kept current
without having to give it a second thought.
• All 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows® 8.1, Windows 8, Windows
7, Windows Vista®, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 Professional1,2,3
• 500MB available hard disk space
• 512MB RAM (1GB or more recommended)
• Backup device (additional internal or external hard disk drive)
Casper offers a trial version and is less than $50 US.