In a few years I plan on traveling, pretty much all around the world. This is going to cost a good deal of money and be very complex, so I'm going to begin planning now.
What software/toolkit is the best choice to use for this? I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
Now, I was going to use a combination of QGIS and a number of spreadsheets, but if there was any other solution you would recommend, I'm all for it.
My requirements are:
- Has to keep track of a number of physical locations, around the world.
- Has to store a lot of numbers: distances, money, gas prices, airline miles.
- Has to be updated frequently (currencies, airline tickets), preferably with a script.
- Must be password protected, and actual encryption (not just a password) would be a huge, huge bonus.
- Must be able to store/include multiple filetypes, such are PDF, DOC, XLS, etc.
- Must be able to export/download entire project for archiving on to disk.
- Must be still here in 4 years when I actually finish saving up.
- Must be open source.
Do you guys know anything that could fulfill, if not all, at least 4 out of those? The password/encryption thing is really kind of a must, I'm going to be storing credit card numbers/plane tickets/routing numbers/my full name/my ssn in this project, plus there's the fact that I don't necessarily want people to know where I'm going.