Every so often, I need to transfer a couple files between Windows and Android (in one direction or the other).
There a dozens of ways to accomplish this task, but I have yet to find one that is trivially quick.
I would like software recommendations for tools to transfer files between Windows and Android with the following requirements:
- As few steps / clicks / drags / taps / keystrokes on both ends as possible.
- Definitely no software that has to be kept running all the time on the Android side.
- Preferably no software that has to be kept running all the time on the Windows side, but not a requirement.
- Work wirelessly over WiFi (perferably) or Bluetooth.
- Gratis (freeware).
- Compatible with Windows 7 and Android KitKat.
What's I've tried:
- Email. This takes too many steps. First you need to find the file in a file manager, then you need to create an email with it as an attachment, then you need to send it, then on the other side, you need to open an email application, then open the email, and finally save the attachment. Too many steps / clicks / drags / taps / keystrokes.
- Samba shares. I have yet to get a Samba share reliably working between Windows 7 and Android KitKat. Looks promising, but rarely works.
- FTP. This is my current solution. It takes a few more steps than I would like, and I'm hoping there is something with fewer steps. The steps are to load an FTP server on one device, load an FTP client on the other device, login with the appropriate credentials (password), select the files to transfer, and finally, perform the transfer.