My son would like to create his own video game. Is it possible?
The kind of game (shoot-em up, labyrinth, strategy, first person 3D... etc) to be created is not very relevant for this case. I search mainly for some Do-It-Yourself program that could teach the boys how to practice in composing video games instead of just playing them.
- Web (java, flash, on-line... etc) solutions accepted.
- Standalone programs (any platform, in order to keep this thread wiki-style as a reference for any operating system) too.
- Open-source preferred. Free but not open-source accepted. Even paid solutions will be considered if they are good enough.
- This is not a "How to code?" or "Learn programming languages?" question. Of course that creating a game involves much work time, but the answer must propose some software that anyone can use. Consider it rather as a "Visual Creation Game Software?" question.
- Reference to "my son" is a way to ask for a software that anyone can use, as oposed to other complex engineering (DFDs, functions, betatesters... etc) programming tools.