My keyboard has a button with the signs: ">" and "<". This button types "`" and "~" instead. It's located up to the left of the 1 button. There are also 2 more messed up buttons.

Anyways I don't know "the name" of my keyboard layout so I need to identify its type. I need some software to help me with that.

I remember when I was installing Ubuntu, there was a software that asked me to press certain keys to detect the keyboard type. Is there a similar software?

  • 1
    See askubuntu.com/q/384758/10425 Mar 31, 2014 at 7:17
  • I saw that long ago. It doesn't have an answer. Thanks anyway :) @moose
    – 842Mono
    Mar 31, 2014 at 11:07
  • the software that does that is called 'keymapper'. I don't yet know how to start it in its visual mode. When I found out I'll post an answer. (google: ubuntu keymapper) Feb 26, 2015 at 8:24

1 Answer 1


Credits to Martin Thoma for the link to AskUbubtu

Count the number of keys on your keyboard, and type (or paste) this in the terminal.

~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

This command reconfigures a package called "keyboard-configuration" with administrative privilege (in case it's needed). So, this will reconfigure your keyboard layout manually (not automatically).


  • In my case, a generic 104 keys keyboard worked! (Because my external keyboard doesn't appear in the list, but it has 104 keys, excluding upper multimedia and internet browsing keys)
  • If you have the "Alt Gr" key, this will make a huge difference.
  • If you are in Spain or Latino América (or if you use a tilde) choose the "include dead tilde" option. It's called "dead" because once you pressed it, it doesn't do anything, but it defines the character of the next pressed key. Just like Alt Gr.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.