We are searching for a tool that
- can parse log files and checks if a certain pattern is matched, e.g. "ERROR" or "FATAL" is contained in a line of a log file.
- can check if a logfile is present or has been modified at a certain point of time - this is to check if a routine has run, as these always generate log files
- if these checks triggered, sends an email to us
- (optional) gathers several events within a given period of time to send one mail instead of many
Non functional requirements
- it must be on-premise - installed on our machine - as we are running inside an intranet and behind firewalls. Trying to get exception rules in order to consume internet based software as a service solutions is not an option
- we are running on Red Hat Linux servers only, so Windows solutions are not an option
- (optional) we are running several servers, so having a master that collects inputs from all these servers (agents) and coordinates alerts would be nice. But we are also willing to install and configure several installations from a tool on several machines
- (optional) open source so that we may contribute, but closed source is also welcome, also if it costs money, we are willing to pay
- (optional) installation consulting is welcome
What we had a look at so far
- Nagios - from our point of view offers too much for what we want. To us it appears like a sledgehammer to crack that nut
- The ELK Stack plus the Watcher plugin - appears to full fill our needs. All though it also provides too much functions we do not require. We do not need a history of the logs, so the Kibana part is not of interest for us and a whole elasticsearch server is also a bit much.