I am developing a WinForms .Net application. It does a a lot of management type things, but the important part is that it allows users to add file attachments - and they add lots of these.
I now have a requirement to provide search functionality for these file attachments, and it must include content. So to that end, my requirements are as follows:
- Ability to create a search index on a given folder structure
- Index function must be able to read common document formats correctly (such as Microsoft Office documents, XML, PDF, HTML, etc.)
- API functions should allow search for specific keywords, and also basic filtering options such as file types
- Must be actively supported and maintained, so new document types (like new MS Office releases) are added as they are released
- Licencing must permit a single, one-off payment that allows unlimited distribution with our software (ongoing yearly support fees are fine though)
- Performance is important, searches need to be acceptable fast
- Needs to cope with large amounts of files (500GB-1TB, 1,000,000+ files)
- Desirable to have a document viewer that supports search hit highlighting
Essentially we have been evaluating dtSearch and it's a great product (maybe even too great for what little functionality I actually want to use), however there are some sticking points with licencing and I am looking to evaluate alternatives.
Please let me know if you need clarifications on any points.