I am a programmer and my file types usually deal with text and images and sometimes other files like sound files and executables. I was using Dreamweaver till now for doing all the sync work and it was pretty good and extremely fast in determining if a file was changed or not. Also the tree view comparison of Dreamweaver allowed me to sync only a particular folder if I wanted to.
Now with the licensing terms of Adobe being changed, I am no longer in a condition to use the software and moved on. But I still miss the sync feature that Dreamweaver gave me. I tried a number of freeware/paid apps which claim to do this but most of them were either bad interfaced or took eternity to analyze the folders. While some only allowed me to sync the whole project (which would be always slow), very few tools I think sync folders and not the whole project.
Is there any good tool for syncing files between computers? They can be any of the win,mac,linux platforms. Gui would be better but then I'd like to see all the options available.
Edit Features I am looking for are as under.
- Graphical application to manage the sync
- Should sync the folder currently clicked on and not always see the sync as a whole folder as a sync task
- Ability to "GET" as well as "PUT" files to server (directional sync)
- Quick comparison of directory to be sync'd
- Should handle sync between ftp server
- Should be able to run on windows but could sync on Linux too.
- Sync includes capability to sync local or LAN folders too.