I am looking for a gratis Windows program to search through a directory tree and find all files containing a given string.
- must NOT create or rely on any index or other type of database
- for each matched file, show the matching line(s)
- search text files
Nice to have:
- show X lines before/after the match
- search within archives (at least ZIP, 7Z and RAR) - search PDF files
- search MS Word files (and Excel, and PowerPoint)
- search Open/Libre Office files
- count of matching files/lines
- use wildcards
? in search string
- specify string as regular expression
- click found file to open it
- specify file sizes, dates, etc
- search again for new string within the current search results
Note that Agent Ransack does much of this, but some of the "nice to have" features are not available in the gratis version (nor does it have a Linux version). Does anything else tick more items?
[Update] Ultra File Search is also looking good
[Update++] I really, really, really like SearchMonkey on Linux, so anyone looking for a Linux only solution, check it out. Alas, the Windows version - while it offers wildcards in filenames and shows a preview pane with lines matched - does not let me specify how many lines around the hit I see and does not allow searching with regular expressions :-(
But, AstroGrep is a great match - for Windows (with maybe even a few small extra features). So, that's one for each o/s; alas, not the same one.
That's my personal solution. YMMV