Since it is a server whose visitors will likely be Windows based clients, the antivirus should also check for Windows threats (in addition to checking for threats to the server itself)?
In particular, the needs are:
- The primary use case is to scan files (uploaded by users) on an ad hoc basis by calling from a terminal/script.
- Linux based
- Terminal mode is necessary, so it can be run via scripts
- GUI doesn't matter
- able to detect a comprehensive range of malware -
- able to detect malware for Windows, OS X, as well as Linux
Other nice to have aspects (because there are other tools for these anyway):
- live background scans
- check text input/submissions for script attacks - both cross site xss, as well as DB injections
- use in conjunction with mail server, web server, file server.