What I would do if you wanted something portable and lightweight is to use an application like Database Browser and have a connection to an SQLite database (an sqlite database is just a file acting like a database that can be copied to a usb for portability).
Database Browser Portable is an easy to use tool allows you to connect to any database and browse or modify data, run sql scripts, export and print data. It's packaged as a portable app so you can work on your databases on the go.
- Works directly with Oracle, MS Sql Server, ODBC, MySql, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Ole DB, Interbase and Firebird
- Support for ODBC connection strings
- Unlimited number of connections
- One click switching from one connection to another
- One click table browsing
- Data browsing
- Data exports into CSV, Excel, Html files
- Execution history
- SQL Builder with wide range of supported databases
- Execution Log
- Incremental Table Search
- About 8MB installed
You could also use DB Browser for SQLite which works on both Windows and Linux Operating Systems but is less lightweight compared to the Database Browser
DB Browser for SQLite is a high quality, visual, open source tool to create, design, and edit database files compatible with SQLite.
It is for users and developers wanting to create databases, search, and edit data. It uses a familiar spreadsheet-like interface, and you don't need to learn complicated SQL commands.
Controls and wizards are available for users to:
- Create and compact database files
- Create, define, modify and delete tables
- Create, define and delete indexes
- Browse, edit, add and delete records
- Search records
- Import and export records as text
- Import and export tables from/to CSV files
- Import and export databases from/to SQL dump files
- Issue SQL queries and inspect the results
- Examine a log of all SQL commands issued by the application