I am looking for a good Samba alternative which allows outside LAN connections.
Why do I want this:
I have 1 Macbook and 1 iMac and a central server. I want to share files between them like photos and other documents. These files should be stored at the central server. This server is located in a datacenter. I need my macbook at different locations and I want data to be central. Samba is the best options, but it only works in your current network. Even if I am able to make Samba work with outside LAN connections it isn't safe enough to use it at public networks because the data isn't encrypted.
What am I looking for:
- Server software which runs on
Linux(CentOS but mostly packages work with all distros)
- Client software (or just a protocol) which runs on both
- It should have something like a directory (Dropbox -> Directory, Network -> Device -> Directory)
- Should be safe (Samba doesn't send data encrypted)
- I should be able to authenticate myself with a username or password
I am not looking for:
- FTP Server
Dropbox is nice and it fits 90% for what I am looking for. But I want my files to be stored on my server, not the dropbox server.