I am looking for a very customizable DNS server/filter, with caching, to protect my family from malicious content.
I already have:
- a pfSense firewall (Version 2.2.2-RELEASE (i386), which uses the "DNS Resolver"
- Some very basic blacklist configured in the "DNS Resolver"
- A free account on OpenDNS, with some basic rules and some specific blacklist entries.
- the solution is quite inflexible overall:
- the pfSense/Unbound configuration is clumsy and hardly maintainable (See the this article, showing a similar situation, using dnsMasq)
- OpenDns does not allow many specific rules and only blacklisting, even with the paid subscription
What I would like:
- a GUI that lists past received DNS queries and allows them to get blocked or whitelisted for the future
- does some local caching
- is cheap in hardware and/or software
- ideally pfSense plugin or a simple hardware (e.g. Raspberry PI)
- a trustworthy public DNS service with a flexible configuration, as above, would be considered
What I do not want:
- traffic/content analysis (this renders Squid and Dansguardian out).
- spend much money (although a moderate fee would be OK)
- use much hardware