AndroidManifest.xml: application/octet-stream; charset=binary
while a text editor usually requires:
AndroidManifest_new.xml: application/xml; charset=us-ascii
The conversion to classic XML can be achieved in Linux but it requires Java which as mentioned below I want to avoid.
The software should support (preferred) Slackware 14.1 (Primary OS; with KDE 4.10).
Alternatively, it should support Linux Mint 17 (based on Ubuntu 14.04; running KDE 4.13).
A proof is required that the software can view the said XML file.
Strongly prefers GUI over CLI(color coding preferred).
Freeware is preferred but no bars on paid or proprietary ones.
Shouldn't require WINE.
Suggestions for browser extension/addons are also invited.
Can be a plugin for a native Linux text editor like Kate, Kwrite, et al.
Can be an Android app which can export the said file into a file readable by any text editor. Note that formatting shouldn't be affected in this process (scroll below to know more).
What have I tried so far?
Tried for multiple said XML files:
- I tried XMLcopyeditor (v188.8.131.52) on Slackware but it doesn't show human readable output for
- Kate and SublimeText 2 also shows gibberish for the said XML file.
- I didn't try any CLI based viewers since I strongly want GUI.
- Firefox and Chromium throws error in opening said XML file.
- Conglomerate isn't updated since 2013, and as obvious, didn't compile on Slackware because of requirements for age old libraries.
- I didn't try KXML Editor since it's hasn't been updated since 2013.
- XV — XML Viewer has very bad reviews so trying it was out of the question for me.
(Note that if you're certain that your candidate would meet the aforesaid requirements than you may suggest the software irrespective of whether I tried it or not.)
Search results I found?
Following are some questions on SE sites that I found but none worked for me:
- A software to read xml in command line interface
- xml editor for linux
- XML editing in Linux
- Decent KDE XML viewer?
- Is there an XML file editor for Linux with grid view support?
- I didn't try former because it's a paid software and I'm not sure whether it would work on said XML file.
- I didn't install latter because it requires Java Runtime installed which is surely a mess from security perspective.
(Let me know if any of these two contenders can also work for the said XML file.)
An indirect way?
Presently, I'm using an app named Axel on Android which can save the said XML file as a
.txt file. I then copy it from device into my system and uses Kate to see the file. However, it affects a lot of formatting which I want to avoid.
Thank you very much for any help you can offer!