Stack Exchange Network
Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
Visit Stack Exchange
Software Recommendations Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people seeking specific software recommendations. It only takes a minute to sign up.
Sign up to join this community
Anybody can ask a question
The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
I am looking for an Android text editor to replace 920 Text Editor.
- It appears 920 Text Editor may be abandoned. It has not been updated recently, has been removed from the Google Play Store, and the latest version is not available on F-Droid.
- Must be able to search for text anywhere in the file (including within large text files).
- Must not require internet access. If it wants internet access at all, the reason must be disclosed or known.
- Must render and edit FAST!
- Must handle text files that contain thousands of pages (tens of thousands of lines). Must be able to load a 10MB text file without difficulty.
- Not abandoned.
- Gratis (freeware).
- No ads.
Preferences (not required)
- Ability to invert colors (white on black as well as black on white).
UPDATE: Well, it's been over four months, and no one has found a recommendation meeting the requirements, so I simplified the requirements, in hopes of receiving one or more suitable recommendations.
RockPaperLz- Mask it or Casket
asked Apr 21, 2015 at 22:33
I recommend Jota Text Editor
Jota is a text editor designed for a long text file.
It's pronouced as "
- Support until 1 million characters.
- Auto-Detect multiple character codes. UTF-8 UTF-16BE UTF-16LE UTF-32BE UTF-32LE WINDOWS-1251 WINDOWS-1252 WINDOWS-1253 WINDOWS-1255
SHIFT_JIS ISO-2022-JP ISO-2022-CN ISO-2022-KR ISO-8859-5 ISO-8859-7
ISO-8859-8 BIG5 GB18030 EUC-JP EUC-KR EUC-TW IBM855 IBM866 KOI8-R
MACCYRILLIC HZ-GB-2312 X-ISO-10646-UCS-4-3412 X-ISO-10646-UCS-4-2143
(Whether you can decode or not depends on Android's implementation.)
- Change character codes.
- Auto-Detect linebreak code.
- Change linebreak code.
- Keep linebreak code until saving a file.
- Save position of the cursor with file.
- Save history of recened files.
- Search/Replace (Support Regular Expression)
- Text sharing with external application. Mushroom Share (ACTION_SEND) Search (ACTION_SEARCH) Open (ACTION_VIEW) ★Direct Intent : You can
launch any one application on menu item.
- Scroll with Thumb-drag.
- Scroll with Flick.
- Support a Shortcut key with ALT/CTRL Key.
- Customize colors.
- Create a shortcut icon on HOME app.
- Customizable shortcut key bind.
- Text selector like Gingerbread. (Double tap to select the word , then touch selected area to show marker.)
- Word wrap ON/OFF and set word wrap width.
- Set tab width.
- Viewer Mode.
- Show Line numbers.
- Word Counter.
- Support Landscape Mode correctly.
- Auto save.
- Auto Indent.
- Show Tab/Linebreak.
- Auto capitalize.
- you can used as SL4A editor.
- Customizable Toolbar.
- Customizable Syntax highlght.
- Capture Screen shot.
- Wallpaper customize.
- Support Android OS 1.6 or later.
- Support both touch-screen device and qwerty-keyboard device.
- Forever FREE and NO-AD.
answered Apr 22, 2015 at 9:45
viis known to match all your requirements, including the preferences. If the similarity in names has a say here, it must scream "take me!" :) // Btw: picked from above linked list :)