I'm looking for a minimalistic mind-mapping tool that
- uses a very simple, plain-text backend format (preferably markdown, but other comparably simple formats that I could convert easily to and from markdown are also ok),
- is FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) and
- is not cloud-based.
Bonus points given for
- Web-technology based tools that I could install on my own server
- Supporting file links (this is an essential feature for me, but I guess it could be integrated with reasonable effort into any tool, hence only bonus points)
If it’s not a self-hosted Web app (which I’d prefer), Windows support is necessary, Linux support would be nice. I don't need Mac portability.
Some background: I want to use this as a knowledge base tool. This means that I want to maintain my documents for many years to come, which is why I need a really simple backend format. Ideally I'd like to be able to easily write the backend file by hand and then just view it in a mind-mapping tool.
I know of …
- FreePlane, but it seems too feature-loaden for my application. Might be an option to write a good markdown to FreePlane converter, though.
- WiseMapping, which looks really nice, but seems to use a database backend.
- MindMup, which looks okay, but apparently does not support installing it on my own server.