I would be interested to find a plain text editor that provides a mode for vertical text.

Chinese and Japanese can both be written either left-to-right in rows going from top to bottom, or top-to-bottom in columns going from right to left. There are editors for formatted documents which support these, such as Microsoft Word.

But from time to time I have a need to type plain old unformatted text vertically in Chinese and Japanese.

  • Whereas a formatted document editor would allow both horizontal and vertical within a document using its layout and markup systems, a plain text editor would just have it as a viewing mode.
    (much like being able to select a font or turning word-wrap on and off.)

  • It doesn't matter how inline English or other languages are rendered
    (letters rotated 90° or not), though more options are better than fewer.

  • It should work with the standard IMEs that ship with the OS.

  • Unicode should be supported, including supplementary plane support.
    (UTF-8 or UTF-16 but must not mangle surrogate pairs or save as ASCII silently converting everything to ? marks)

  • Really should have installer and user interface in English.
    Even though I know how to type several languages, I can't actually speak or read them so menus, preferences, installer, etc should be available also in English.

I have also wanted to type vertical Mongolian script recently and it is a bit different: top-to-bottom in columns going from left to right. An editor which supported this mode would be best of all, but editors without it are also acceptable.

I'm using Windows 7 but I have a preference for open source, cross platform software.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.