There are many options out there for .net reporting engines, such as:
What we would like
- A visual report writer (banded style)
- A per-developer seat license model (< US$700 a developer)
- Needs to export out to many formats (PDF, Word, Excel, Richtext, etc)
- Easy component model that our junior level developers can understand
- Can generate reports through code or visual report writer
- Visual report writer generates a file that we can edit outside the designer (ie: non binary/proprietary)
- Doesn't matter if it's XML based or if it generates code.
What we want to stay away from:
- Crystal Reports
- Any engine that requires per-server licenses
- Anything that will require me to sell my soul to the devil to afford
Some of these listed above even feature the ability for the end user to edit reports in an HTML5 tool, and it would be nice, but not required.
Its going to be a huge investment to get our team setup, so I want to make sure I do it right up front, so I'm coming here.
So my question is, what are you using? It's pros/cons? What engine would you recommend?
And have I missed any "major players" on my list?
Thanks for you opinions!