I'm looking for a simple application for making notes. My requirements:
- Simple storage format. I mean it. I want to be able to browse and edit my notes using a text editor (like notepad or Emacs), sync via Dropbox (or any other cloud), maybe even put it in a version control system like Git. This is my primary and most important requirement. And it must be relatively close to plain-text, so no XML.
- Apart from taking notes, I want to be able to tag them and search by tags, creation date, modification date etc. (that's why I want something better than a text editor).
- Windows and Linux must be supported.
- Open source solution is preferable.
- Fancy formatting or storage of non-text data (pictures, videos, etc.).
- Built-in synchronization.
- Support for iOS/Android.
AFAIK, no popular note-making application focuses on my most important point. I want to be sure that no matter what developers of the application do, I have access to my notes. I've been using Opera browser for taking notes for several years. I had a lot of trouble exporting them when Opera decided to drop the note feature from them browser.