I've been using KDE Skrooge budgeting app for a few years but now I switched to mac os.
I'm looking for app similar to Skrooge and I'd like it to be / have:
- open source (not that important)
- desktop app (no online web app)
GNU Cash is a no-go.
Why GNU Cash is a no-go recommendation?
This is off course my opinion based on many years of using Skrooge but trying it for a while I didn't find it as good as Skrooge.
- having several categories in Skrooge (bills, food, etc) after importing data to GNU Cash I ended up with as many accounts as I had in Skrooge. In Skrooge I was using following accounts (regular bank account, pre-paid card, and wallet - it was implemented as my feature request!). An item can be added to any category to any account - so for example at the end of month you can see how much you spent on food across all accounts
- The interface is for me kind of 'raw'; (treat is as very subjective opinion)
- GNU Cash couldn't handle the following scenario: week ago, when I usually deal with the budget, I enter all bills and prices, or bank accounts. By accident the food category (let's say $X) landed not in wallet account (as I prefer to use 'real' money), but my main bank account. In Skrooge it'd only required to update account field, but in GNU Cash (after importing data) I ended up with messed up data that was no longer 'in-sync').
What I like in Skrooge?
- budget feature and comparing real and planned budget
- transfer from one account to the other (like drawing money from cash machine)
- no need for online account
- the author, or one of them (Stephane Mankowski), implements a feaure request in a very short period of time if he finds it useful. It's not a do it know for free!, dude, or I'll kill you! As far I remember he implemented at least 2 (TWO) feature requests.
Why Skrooge for Mac is a no-go?
The docs says that the app for Mac is for only testing purposes
so I took it for granted. If it is not that bad, please let me know.
Mac version is only available from macports. As Skrooge is a KDE app, in order to install it requires additional KDE dependencies.