A few years back I had a setup which came with a driver or some software so that you could virtually increase your desktop resolution to enormous resolutions like 6000x6000. But since the actual maximum screen resolution of the monitor was only something like 1280x800, it only showed a portion of it. It let you pan around when you took your mouse pointer to the corners and edges. Something like this:

Is there a software that lets you do this?

OS: Windows. License: Any

  • I think the Magnifier that comes with Windows already has a full screen mode that does that. I haven't tried it with Windows 8 yet. However: Full-screen mode and lens mode are only available as part of the Aero experience(source)
    – Tymric
    Jan 15, 2015 at 10:42
  • @Timmy I'm afraid you've missed the main point. I want the screen resolution to be increased to something like 6000x3000 px. Then, yeah I guess Magnifier would do the job. Jan 15, 2015 at 10:51
  • It was a really useful behavior. It worked for me with an ati graphic card and win 7. Since win 10 (never used win 8) its over. Apr 28 at 20:40

3 Answers 3


Found GiMeSpace.com sells a product that will do it in 1 or 2 dimensions, with a trial version available.

  • Would you mind giving pricing information, and explain more about the dimensions and UI (I think they use the mouse in a certain way, for instance. Thanks!
    – Nicolas Raoul
    Oct 26, 2023 at 7:52
  • This is exactly what I needed. Can't believe something like this existed for so long. Thanks, mate! Oct 26, 2023 at 16:50

On earlier versions of Windows, the Matrox cards such as the Millenium included this feature in their driver. It was certainly not a bug in the driver @CalvT. The driver was coded so that when you reached the edge of the physical screen, the driver panned the virtual desktop across the physical screen. On the Matrox cards, this was known as 'Virtual Desktop'. Here is a link or two that references the feature...


This link is for the Mac driver, but explains the feature better than the PDF above...


I'm afraid I don't know how to configure this for later Windows versions either. However, I too am searching for it, since I think that combined with a set of VR glasses, having the pan feature triggered when you move your head from left to right could be a very natural way to pan around a desktop that is wider than your display device.


Presuming your graphics card can support higher resolutions than your monitor can support you can increase the desktop size.

Go to Display Settings. Then click on Advanced Settings. Under Monitor uncheck Hide modes that this monitor Cannot Display or Under Adapter Click on list all modes

Then simply choose one larger than your monitor supports and give it a go. However be warned some monitors will simply display a message saying input is out of range.

I don't think there would be any software for this, as it is the drivers that define it. It could be your old computer had a driver that wasn't coded properly.

  • I have never seen a monitor that pans around if you set a resolution higher than it can support.
    – oldmud0
    Jan 18, 2015 at 22:33
  • I didn't see the reply to this!! :/ I had one of those EEE laptops, and depending on what resolution you chose, sometimes you could pan up and down, because the height set was more than the "relative" height of the screen.
    – CalvT
    May 4, 2016 at 18:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.