I've been hunting for a help desk software that fulfills my requirements (in order of importance):
- Multiple queues/topics/categories
- Custom form per queue/topic/category
- Alerting (via email) for new tickets based on queue/topics/category
- Alerting (via email) for ticket follow-ups
- LDAP -or Active Directory- based login
- It will be nice if it has some facility to measure SLA fulfillment, e.g., how much time had elapsed since ticket is first created, how prompt the assigned agent handled the issue, etc.
I'm currently trying out Request Tracker. Unfortunately to provide #4 above one must resort to hacking one's own front-end (with callbacks to the relevant RT components). I'm concerned that by doing so, the software will be unmanageable some time in the future (e.g., when updating to a newer version).
Is there a free (gratis) help desk software that can fulfill my requirements? Not necessarily open-source, although that would be nice.
Update: I'm also currently trying out OTRS using TurnKey Linux (TKL) OTRS Virtual Appliance. No opinion yet, just finished installing.