My wife just got an new notebook with Windows 8.1. Because I never used windows actively (I'm Unix & Mac user), looking for program what will have the same functionality (as close as possible) as the LittleSnitch program on OS X.
On Super User, there was a 3 year old question with some recommendations, but I'm looking for an up-to-date answer - (I added a bounty to the question - but the question is now off topic on SO - so re-asking it here)
The program should do the following:
- monitor all outgoing connection attempts for any application
- if here isn't an saved rule for the given application and destination
- show an informative popup and ask the user what should do, with the connection attempt, like in the following images:
- and will allow/block (and remember the rule) the connection based on the answer.
- contain a ruleset editor
- the rules are protected, so no trojan can alter (add a fake rule) to the ruleset
- preferably free, but if it is an commercial product will allows me use it for an limited time (like LittleSnitch - for evaluation it should be restarted every 2 hours).
- and nothing more. Really nothing more.
I don't want any other bloated functionality (it could contain some other features, but if I don't need them, will not force me for using (and setup) them), e.g. don't want/need:
- universal packet firewall (where i must setup all incoming connection rules and such. I already have one PF-based nat-firewall on my home-LAN)
- bandwidth shaping
- and like. The program should be small, unbloated and easy to use, e.g. if here is already a valid rule for the given connection attempt, use the rule, if here isn't ask and remember it. That's all. ;)
Honestly, I didn't tried any of the answers from the SO's question, mainly because they're outdated and some got bad comments, (like this) - so looking for the fresh and as much as possible precise recommendations.
Please don't waste time recommending a product what doesn't fulfill all of the above conditions.