I used to host a webpage for my family history / genealogy efforts and it is still there but in very basic form and I am debating about resurrecting it but am torn on the format of what is 'effective' today for communicating, collecting, collaborating, and managing family history information.
Note: This was originally posted in Genealogy, I actually use a different software package for Genealogy and am good with it and am not asking for a genealogy specific software recommendation.
I have looked at a couple different formats I have used for other purposes such as a Blog, Wiki, or hosted site. I am, at least at this time, philosophically opposed to hosting it on a paid membership required, random ad supported, or a format that I do not have more control over the information, format, and who can view what information.
There are numerous discussions about software to the desktop and I have looked at GenSoftReviews (search for wiki), but I am looking for something specifically for use myself to host on the web/internet.
Formats I am considering:
- JIRA Confluence
- Classic Website
- Classic Semi-Static Pages (i.e. Straight HTML, PHP) managed through desktop interface.
I am NOT considering a Git-GED site or anyone only available via GitHub at this time.
My question Is anyone aware of any specific package available that meets most of my general requirements below that people have had personal success? And secondarily IF you answer the first question can you include thoughts on challenges you have encountered in the Blog vs. Wiki format to back-up your answer as well as any supporting information.
Being this is software, I expect some opinion based answers but also looking specifically for something that meets the following requirements.
- Easy and Friendly to use for End Users
- Must have a current look and feel. (As I find many do not)
- Regular Updates from vendor; including security.
- Supports Pages, informational.
- Easy to Update for Me to enter information.
- Freely or Commercially Available
- Plug-ins specific to Genealogy; preferably with some DNA management as well.
- Supports embedded images or video from 3rd party sites
- Must be Mobile Device Compatible
- It cannot be a resource hog that will require me to upgrade my hosting package.
- Must use current technology (HTML5, not require Internet Explorer, supports Linux hosting, & mySQL)
- Can protect some information except for approved users (i.e. Can't see unless logged in, not necessarily encrypted).
My hosting providers provide one click installs of many of the above mentioned as well as others like (PhpGedView) but I am also interested in other options.
Examples of what I have seen people doing, most of which I do not like mostly because they are not easy to use. (Note all were randomly chosen by looking for examples via Google).