I'm looking for a quick text outline tool that I can host on my own server supporting real-time editing for multiple users and change-history.
Etherpad fits that perfectly.
Etherpad is a highly customizable Open Source online editor providing collaborative editing in really real-time.
We used to use it at my workplace (until Google Apps basically replaced it). Some notes:
- For change history, it offers time slider, which is well implemented. It's easy to see when and who added/removed something.
- Rarely users were out-of-sync, and after someone reconnected, changes were lost. This happened only a few times.
- Each document have read-only URL. This is useful for sharing something with public/customers/some other group that should not edit it. For example, sharing in-progress FAQ file directly from Etherpad is way nicer than copy-pasting content to some other page after each update.
- Each user is assigned a color, and all modifications are highlighted with that color. This makes it easy to see who wrote something, without going to history slider. Unfortunately, everyone can click "Clear Authorship Colors", and there's no way to undo that.
- Supports importing and exporting HTML and plain text.
- Supports all basic formatting operations (bold, italic, underline, lists, numbered lists, indenting).