I'm looking for a web app for small collaboration with close to plain text documents. My requirements:
- I don't want real-time collaboration; that messes with my workflow (the textareas are heavily scriptified, hard to outsource the editing process to vim).
- The content is not top secret but the preference is to keep the notes nonpublic.
- A graphical and easy-to-handle conflict resolution would be a big pro for the nontechnical folks in this.
Otherwise we'd probably use bitbucket for a private repo...
For generality's sake:
- we would be talking about one unicode text file of from tens up to a thousand lines
- the amount collaboration varies. Perhaps typically once a day for some writers, once a week for others. Having the conflict resolution would clear any of the risks involved.
- One file / "bin" per collaborator doesn't do.
- A text wiki would probably handle the requirements but none of that would be really needed. I have used PMwiki once for this kind of job but it's got its bloat and we don't have any PHP hosting.
- No need to export or import anything. Just text, that can be trivially exported.
Github Gists would be ideal if only it allowed others to edit my private gists.
Note: the initial need for this is so small, I wouldn't wish to subscribe to any host plans just for this. Something offered as a service it is.