I'm new to all this versioning business so please help me understand the different versioning software out there that will suit my need. I've come to a sad realisation that I need to start versioning my documents and code because when I was transferring data through USB, it got really messy and I lost a lot of work in the process. Lost all my design work because I copied the wrong folder and thinking it was safe to delete, did a "shift-del"... Stupidity a side - lesson learnt.
So I did a lot of searching around, and I've settled on Git (on BitBucket) for versioning the source code. However, I'm having a hard time finding a solution for:
- Documents such as word docx, pdf
- Design models such as UML and flowcharts
- Project management and schedules such as Excel spreadsheet or MS Project deliverables
My requirements are as follow:
- Individual file checkin/checkout capability (for collaboration)
- File locking on checkout (to prevent conflicts)
- Ability to a commit a new version without checking in (allow to keep offline if I'm the only one working on the document. On a one man project I would simply keep everything checked out and simply commit for versioning.)
- Automatic version numbering on commit or checkin
I currently have personal cloud sync to keep file history on each save. However, this is presented in a meaningless state and serves only as security should I make a mistake. The requirements stated above will add a meaningful way for me to review and roll back on "milestones".
Please advise if there is anything out there that meet this requirement.