I have a proposal in which I need to recommend a software package/monitoring system that will aid in the real time monitoring of a set fishing vessels, fish catch, and the fishermen while at sea.
The project is in its preliminary stage and no decisions have been made as to hardware, software and methodology.
1. Host the application in the cloud via an Amazon Web Services account with the Ubuntu OS.
2. The boats will be outfitted with a GPS device and the fishermen will have a smart phone
3. Real time collected will be GPS and SMS
4. The data will stored in a geo-database (like cartodb)
5. leaflet for mapping software
6. Other related data will be manually
My preference is to use open source software
Any hardware and software suggestions would be appreciated