I am looking for a basic piece of software that does ONE job and as little else as possible. I have completely blank generic brand check stock that needs to have the MICR code line and other basic account data and formatting lines printed to make what Quickbooks expects as blank checks.
I used to use an old Version of VersaCheck that did just this, but it won't run on newer versions of Windows1. The newer versions are out of the question because they require use of either a verification service or a per check fee. Their free version also only works if you buy their branded check stock and use the codes off of each package to print just that many checks.
I have tried downloading some other software but haven't found any that meet even a majority of this criteria:
Let's start with the positives:
- I do need it to know a couple basic check stock sizes (any sizes based on popularly available Letter based sheet stock is fine) and to know how to lay the check out so that Quickbooks can then print the actual check content.
- I do need it to remember/save the account numbers and details for a handful of different accounts.
- I do need this software to install and run in a completely offline environment.
But the problem I'm trying to solve is riddled with negative criteria:
- I don't want it to do everything like keep a register, balance my account and clean the kitchen.
- I don't need it to import or export data.
- I don't need it to "print checks", only to change blank stock into blank checks by adding the MICR line and other basic formatting.
- I don't want to be locked to a specific brand of stock or to any verification services or ongoing fees.
- I don't want adware or other nonsense. Changing my browser settings is a disqualifier.
Lastly there are a couple of non criteria:
- I don't care about the platform. I use Linux and would prefer that, but don't expect to find it. Quickbooks is running in a virtual machine with Windows 7 and I am ok with installing something there.
- I would prefer gratis but would be willing to pay a small fee (<$30 or so) to have this problem out of my hair if a piece of software otherwise meets all the criteria. I'm not going to pay $150 for something that syncs my account data via some corporate phone-home mechanism while changing the baby's diapers to keep me distracted.
I have the issue of the MICR line needing to be printed with magnetic ink covered if some program will just send the line to my printer.
1 The last version that did what I need without gimmicks won't run past Windows XP. Predictably now that XP is EOL'ed, the VM I run it in has
caught a cold become virus infested and I am trying to build a new platform on a maintainable version of Windows.