I have some text in both an English and Chinese translation. I need to align the text, e.g. putting each sentence on separate lines and matching the English lines to corresponding Chinese lines.
Today Little Rabbit went to the supermarket. He bought three bottles of water. …
今天小兔子去超市。 Today Little Rabbit went to the supermarket. 他买了三平水。 He bought three bottles of water. … …
- The output shown above is just a sample. If the software creates output with some special syntax to denote the matching components, it is fine too.
- The text is organized into paragraphs.
- I need to work with many hundreds of pages of such text.
- Traditional text editors do not seem so adapt at handling text side-by-side, as one must add many tabs, and manually move text around.
- I tried placing each translation in different columns of a spreadsheet, but found this is not a good way to align text as I must select huge areas and move them down with the mouse.
Is there any software that can aid in such an alignment, either providing automatic alignment by recognizing the Chinese and English words and moving the text to parallel lines or that makes the manual task of aligning parallel text more convenient?