I need to manage files via the web browser, "inside" of a bigger web application. Looking for a web based file manager with the next features:
- simple - it should only manage files and nothing other around. So I don't (!!!) want any user profiles, login panels or any other unrelated stuff. The filemanager should manage files, and do not care about the user-base.
- full-featured - I want a simple application, but full featured file-management functions, including:
- view of common file contents (images, text files)
- upload/download files
- zip/unzip files and directories
- allows edit text files (but this isn't necessary)
- works nicely on mobile devices too (can use different interface)
- no database needed (of course, should be an file manager)
The nearly perfect solution for me is elFinder. Dead simple, connector based, client-server, feature-packed - great open-source file manager.
Unfortunately, it has issues on the mobile devices.
The server-side part could be in any language (except Java!) - the best would be Perl but PHP, Python, Ruby is OK.