I'm trying to set up a POP/SMTP email address on my Android device. However, the SMTP server is currently down, so I am currently stuck at the end of the setup process.
Down For Everyone Or Just Me will check HTTP servers, but I would like to have the same service for a generic socket, or, at least, the SMTP port of the SMTP server I need to use.
What I'm looking for:
- should try and open a socket, or, at least, an ICMP ping
- should keep trying until it succeeds (or, at least, it doesn't time out)
- should notify me when it finally succeeds
- It doesn't have to be hosted by a third party. I'm not so much interested in knowing people on the other end of the world can set up the email address, I just want to know when I can do that.
- It doesn't have to be a standalone program. A very tiny shell script is fine, too.
Note: I have access to all platforms with the exceptions of OS X and iOS.