I am looking for a web-based searchable private email archive. I administer a couple of email lists for a local organization with a few hundred members. Currently the lists are hosted on a commercial Mailman-based email list service which provides simple by-month archiving, but not searching.
I am very satisfied with the for-pay Mailman service. They take care of delivery and blacklisting issues, etc. But they are not willing to add (third-party) search software.
I have some possibilities in mind to provide searchable archives, but am looking for further options. It could be a commercial service or a piece of website software I host. I administer the main website for this group, which is built on Drupal 7. But there does not appear to be a good Drupal-based solution. I am willing to host the archives on a non-Drupal site.
I have considered or am considering:
- Google Groups: Yes, it seems the obvious choice, but:
- I am not the paying customer: Google's advertisers are.
- The policies about adding new subscribers to a Google group have shifted over the years and may shift yet again. Now there is limited direct-add of subscribers, but for a long while subscribers had to respond to invitations, which were often lost, etc.
- Bigtent: Has many of the features I want. No for-pay service (though they make money on ticket fees): so again, who is the customer? Experiences or similar alternatives welcome.
- Mailing list posts to forum posts: Several hostable forum packages (e.g., phpBB) have unidirectional or bidirectional email-to-forum gateways. Recommendations?
- Any other kind of solution?
Any solution should be able to bulk-load the existing archives. I am willing to do some programming for conversion if necessary.