We would like to draw textures and skins for games like Minetest and Minecraft. What do you recommend? Feature preferences (in order of importance):
- Similar to software used by experienced artists for such games.
- The subject of tutorial(s) for drawing game graphics
- Works on current Linux
- A live preview that updates while we edit a magnified view
- Free/Libre/Open source
- Color picker
- Line, border and fill tools
- Actively maintained
We have looked at this list, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Raster_graphics_editors_for_Linux but we don't yet know which of those apps have features 1 and 2.
This list looks closer to the mark: http://alternativeto.net/software/grafx2/?platform=linux
- What pixel graphics program supports creating seamless tiles? (answers are Windows and Mac apps)
- General-purpose sprite manager
- Game development content pipeline/toolchain?