I hate with a passion the Skype client for Ubuntu. I use my hotmail inbox to send messages instead as a workaround to using that terrible piece of software that Skype is trying to pull. I am looking for a Skype client alternative that works just like Skype, but has better UI and actually receives messages when they are sent and when I log into Skype (not 30 minutes later).
- I am mainly focusing on the text portion of Skype. I don't care so much about the video or audio calling
- Must be able to send and receive messages
- Must receive unread messages instantly upon login (this is the one thing that bugs the hell out of me about the current Skype client)
- Must notify me of a new message
- I must be able to set my status (online, busy, be right back etc)
- Support for group messages
- Support for Skype contacts
I am not looking for an alternative to Skype altogether but rather an alternative to the Skype client. I still want to be using Skype, without having to use the crap client the provide for Linux users.